Fines: how to pay

If you get a fine, you must pay it under the law. It won’t go away. Read about the Fines and Penalties (Recovery) Act 2001.

A fine can also be known as an infringement notice.

Pay your fine online

On the Fines Recovery Unit secure payment website

You will need:

  • your Visa or MasterCard
  • infringement or reference number
  • the amount you owe.

You must pay the whole amount. Find out what you can do if you can’t pay your fine in full.

What you can pay

You can pay all of the following fines and infringements notices:

  • Northern Territory police infringements for:
    • speed and red light camera offences
    • other traffic offences
    • on-the-spot fines
  • court ordered fines
  • parking fines that are overdue and have reached enforcement.

If you pay late

Check carefully for the payment due date of your fine.

If you pay late, other costs may have already been added to your fine.

Find out what happens if you don't pay your fine.

You cannot pay your fine by direct debit but there are several other ways to pay your fine.

Pay your fine quickly

If you don't pay online, the quickest way to pay your fine is in person at:

Other options: delayed payment

The below payments can take several days to reach the Fines Recovery Unit (FRU).

You must make sure you pay before the due date of your fine.

Otherwise you may be charged extra fees or face another penalty - eg: have you driver licence suspended.


Pay your bill directly from your bank account, over the phone or on the internet.

  • quote biller code 57265 if your BPAY reference number consists of 8 digits eg. '87812345'
  • quote biller code 696344 if your BPAY reference number consists of 10 digits eg. '1212345678'

Contact your bank to set up your phone or internet banking before you use BPAY.

By mail

Fill out the payment slip on the bottom of your fine notice and return it with a cheque, money order or credit card number to the Fines Recovery Unit. Make your cheque or money order payable to ‘RTM’.

Using Australia Post Office

You can pay your fine in person at any Australia Post Office.

You can pay using any of the following:

  • cash
  • cheque
  • credit card.


You can arrange to have instalments deducted from your Centrelink payments.

For more information, contact the Fines Recovery Unit.

If you work for the government

If you are a Northern Territory Government employee, you can pay your fine through payroll deductions. Contact the Fines Recovery Unit for more information.

Last updated: 09 July 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!