Financial help for victims of crime

You witness or are affected by a violent act

You can claim up to a maximum of $40,000 for injuries which can include up to $10,000 for financial loss.

Witnessing or being affected by a violent act is known as being a secondary victim.

There is one amount of $40,000 for all secondary victims of the same violent act. If there is more than one victim, the money is shared.

Find out more about the rules for what you can claim by reading the Victims of Crime Assistance Act 2006.

When you can apply

You can claim if any of the following happen:

  • you were at the scene of a violent act and suffered a mental injury after witnessing the act
  • you are a child under 18 years old, stepchild or under the guardianship of the victim, and suffered a mental injury after becoming aware of the act of violence
  • you are a parent, step-parent or guardian of a child under 18 who was a victim, and suffered a mental injury after becoming aware of the violent act.

Documents you will need

You must submit all of the following:

How to apply

Submit your application form and any documents listed above to the Crime Victims Services Unit in Darwin by email, post, fax or in person.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 12 December 2016

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.