Domestic, family and sexual violence

Report domestic, family and sexual violence

Under Northern Territory (NT) law you must report domestic and family violence to NT police.

This includes if someone has been seriously hurt or is in danger of being hurt. You must do this as soon as possible.

Read more about domestic and family violence.

How to report domestic, family and sexual violence

Call 000 if you or someone you know is in immediate danger.

If it's not an emergency, call police on 131 444.

If you don’t feel comfortable, get someone you trust to call the police for you.

You don’t have to give your name and contact details if you don’t want to.

What information you should give to police

You should tell police all of the following:

  • the location of the violence or abuse
  • if the person needs medical help
  • if there are any children nearby
  • if there are any weapons involved
  • the name of the victim or the other person if you know
  • the relationship between the victim and the other person.

Penalty for not reporting domestic violence

If police believe that you have not made a report and there is sufficient evidence that you should have, then you may be charged with an offence.

The offence has a maximum fine of more than $20,000.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 24 June 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!