Sexual assault referral centres
Sexual assault referral centres (SARC) can give you support if you have experienced sexual assault.
Sexual assault can be verbal harassment, unwanted touching or an attack.
SARC provides the following services:
- counselling for adults and children who have been sexually assaulted at any time in their life
- information, support and counselling for non-offending parents, family members and partners
- education and information for community or professional groups
- support if you are going through a legal process
- protective behaviour for children
- working with other government agencies to work on prevention.
In the Darwin and Alice Springs SARC you can get 24 hour access to medical, legal and counselling information.
In the Darwin and Alice Springs SARC you can get 24 hour medical assistance from doctors if you have been recently sexually assaulted.
Medical assistance includes:
- screening and preventative treatment for sexually transmitted infections
- pregnancy prevention
- collection of forensic evidence
- screening for drugs where drink spiking is suspected
- providing a medico-legal report.
Services also include the medical examination of children where child sexual assault is suspected.
Darwin: (08) 8922 6472
Katherine: (08) 8973 8524
Tennant Creek: (08) 8962 4361
Alice Springs - from 8am to 4.21pm, Monday to Friday: (08) 8955 4500
Alice Springs - after hours: 0401 114 181
You can call Darwin and Alice Springs 24 hours a day to get help for recent incidents of sexual assault.
Other NT sexual assault services
In Darwin, you can call Ruby Gaea: (08) 8945 0155
NT-wide you can call 1800RESPECT: 1800 737 732
Last updated: 16 May 2016
Share this page:URL copied!