How to get money you are owed

Examining the debtor’s finances

You can apply to the court for the debtor's finances to be looked at by a lawyer or the court registrar. This is called an examination summons. 

The debtor must attend a hearing. 

The debtor must provide a list of weekly costs, such as the following:

  • rent
  • food
  • childcare
  • medical
  • other expenses.

They should also propose a payment plan

If they have already paid some of the debt they must provide receipts.

If the debtor doesn't attend the hearing

If the debtor avoids examination, you can apply for a private bailiff to arrest them and bring them to court. 

This is called a warrant of arrest on disobedience to summons.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 18 June 2015

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.