Small claims


You can make a small claim through the Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT) if:

  • you are owed up to $25,000
  • or have a claim against someone for goods and services up to $25,000 in value.

Examples of small claims are any of the following:

  • work has not been completed by a tradesperson
  • you are owed money for goods or services
  • you have been sold faulty goods or services performed poorly
  • there is a dispute between a homeowner, tenants or body corporates.

Before you make a small claim

You can:

When you can lodge a small claim

Claims must be made within three years of the date the money was owed or the work due.

If the person who owes money confirms the debt in writing during the three years, the three year deadline restarts from that date.

Read more about commencing a small claim with NTCAT as well as filing a response to a claim.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 28 May 2015

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!