Getting married

Changing to your married name

You may wish to change your surname to your married name.

How to change your surname

To do this, you must change your name with each organisation you are registered with.

This may include any of the following:

Organisations may have different requirements for changing your name. Some will require an official change of name certificate. Read about how to get a change of name certificate and legally change your name.

Providing your marriage certificate

When you are asked to provide your marriage certificate, you must use your official marriage certificate under seal, not your certificate of marriage you receive from your celebrant on the day of your wedding.

For more information on changing to your married name, contact the Births, Deaths and Marriages office.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 21 May 2015

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!