Getting married

Organise your own celebrant and ceremony

If you want to organise your own celebrant and ceremony you will need to follow these steps:

Marriage celebrants are people who have power under the law to perform marriages.

Ask the Births, Deaths and Marriages office for a current list.

You can choose between the following types of celebrants:

The form is available from the Australian Government's Attorney-General's Department website.

You must:

  • use the new forms made available since 9 December 2017
  • submit the form to your celebrant at least 31 days before the intended date of marriage.

The notice of intended marriage form is valid for 18 months after you submit it to the celebrant. You should make arrangements to get married within that time.

You must provide all of the following to your celebrant:

  • original birth certificates
  • current photo identification
  • documents proving any name changes
  • an Australian or overseas passport showing the date and place of birth
  • if you have been divorced or widowed, you must provide an original divorce or death certificate.

Fees and procedures vary with each celebrant.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 02 August 2018

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!