Apply for an individual liquor permit
How to apply for an individual liquor permit
You can apply for a liquor permit if you are any of the following:
- over 18 years old
- a visitor or tourist who has recognised accommodation
- a resident of an Aboriginal community where alcohol is banned but allows their residents to have a permit.
Before you apply
You must provide one of the following types of photo identification:
- a Northern Territory driver licence
- an 18+ proof of age card
- an Australian passport or Australian Defence Force photo ID card and current electricity or phone bill to show proof of address.
You must also provide one of the following:
- a phone, electricity or other bill in your name or
- a letter from your local government community council or community association confirming your address.
And one of the following:
- a Medicare card
- a Centrelink Healthcare card.
If you are applying for a liquor permit in the Groote Eylandt area, you must take your completed application to the Alyangula Police Station for a name check.
Once you have been cleared, the police will forward your form to the permit office.
Tourists or visitors
You will need to provide:
- an itinerary, invoice or other document confirming your travel plans and
- and photo ID, such as a driver licence or passport.
Read more about travellers and tourists to the NT.
To apply for an individual liquor permit, follow these steps. You must complete the form relevant to your area.
Step 1. Complete your application online on the Licensing NT website or fill in the form:
Maningrida liquor permit
Groote Eylandt liquor permit
East Arnhem liquor permit
Wiligi Outstation liquor permit
Liquor permit for all other areas
Step 2. Submit the form to Licensing NT by email or fax.
Fax: 08 8999 7498
When you apply for a liquor permit, you agree to have a police check.
This information is used to help the police and the liquor permit committee in your area decide if you should have your application is approved.
If your application is refused, you can ask for a review of the permit committee's decision. Your review will be handled by the office of the director-general of licensing.
To apply for a review you must fill in an application for a review of a decision.
If your application is refused by the director-general's office, you can choose to have your matter heard by the Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT).
Read about NTCAT to find out how to apply for a review.
Last updated: 03 August 2021
Share this page:URL copied!