Takeaway alcohol in Tennant Creek and Barkly
There are restrictions in the Tennant Creek and Barkly area for:
- times and days you can buy takeaway alcohol
- and how much you can buy of certain types of alcohol each day.
You may be asked to provide photo identification to buy alcohol in the Tennant Creek and Barkly area.
You will be asked to provide ID if you want to buy restricted items like cask and fortified wine.
When you can buy takeaway alcohol
You can only buy takeaway alcohol during the following hours:
- from Monday to Friday, 2pm to 8pm
- on Saturday and public holidays, except Christmas Day and Good Friday, 12 noon to 8pm
- on Sunday at hotels and clubs only from 2pm to 8pm - you can only buy from clubs if you are a financial member.
Read about where you can't drink in Tennant Creek.
You can only buy takeaway sales from Monday to Saturday, 12 noon to 7pm.
How much alcohol you can buy
One person can only buy one of the following each day:
- one, two litre cask of wine
- or one bottle of fortified wine.
You can only buy cask wine and fortified wine from 2pm to 6pm.
Elliott and Marlinja residents
If you are a resident of Elliott and Marlinja, you are only allowed to buy one of the following each day from each outlet:
- 12 cans of light beer
- eight cans of mid strength beer
- six cans of heavy beer
- six cans of pre mixed drinks.
Tourists can buy other alcohol with photo ID.