Takeaway alcohol in Tennant Creek and Barkly
There are restrictions in the Tennant Creek and Barkly area for:
- times and days you can buy takeaway alcohol
- and how much you can buy of certain types of alcohol each day.
The restrictions apply to Tennant Creek until 14 June 2018. The Liquor Commission is consulting with people in the region to decide what restrictions should apply in the longer term.
For the latest information about alcohol in Tennant Creek, please contact Licensing NT.
Takeaway liquor can only be sold between the hours of 3pm and 6pm from Monday through to Saturday. Takeaway liquor sales are prohibited on Sundays.
You can't buy more than one of the following per day:
- 30 cans or stubbies of mid strength or light beer
- 24 cans or stubbies of full strength beer
- 12 cans or bottles of ready to drink mixes
- one two litre cask of wine
- one bottle of fortified wine
- one bottle of green ginger wine
- two 750 ml bottles of wine
- one 750 ml bottle of spirits.
It is prohibited to sell:
- wine in a glass container larger than one litre
- beer in bottles of 750ml or more.
Restrictions apply to the following six venues in Tennant Creek that are licensed to sell takeaway alcohol:
- Tennant Creek Hotel
- Goldfields Hotel
- Headframe Bottle Shop
- Sporties Club
- Tennant Creek Golf Club
- Tennant Creek Memorial Club.
Read about where you can't drink in Tennant Creek.
You can only buy takeaway alcohol from Monday to Saturday, 12 noon to 7pm.
One person can only buy one of the following each day:
- one, two litre cask of wine
- or one bottle of fortified wine.
You can only buy cask wine and fortified wine from 2pm to 6pm.
Elliott and Marlinja residents
If you are a resident of Elliott and Marlinja, you are only allowed to buy one of the following each day from each outlet:
- 12 cans of light beer
- eight cans of mid strength beer
- six cans of heavy beer
- six cans of pre mixed drinks.
Tourists can buy other alcohol with photo ID.