Security licences


Security providers in the Northern Territory (NT) must be licensed. This includes security officers, crowd controllers and security firms.

Who needs a security licence

You need a licence to patrol or guard another person's property. 

You also need a licence to control or monitor behaviour, screen people at entry or remove people at any of the following venues:

  • licensed liquor venue
  • entertainment venue
  • public place
  • public function
  • private function.

Licence types

Read below to find out more about the types of security licence.

Security officer licence

A security officer is someone who patrols or guards another person's property.

Crowd controller licence

A crowd controller is a person who works at a licensed premise, entertainment venues or at functions and:

  • controls or monitors behaviour 
  • screens persons seeking entry
  • removes persons from the venue.

Crowd controller and security officer licence

This licence type allows you to work both as a crowd controller and security officer.

Provisional licence

This licence type allows you to perform the functions of a security provider while you are completing your training.

Security firm licence

This licence type allows individuals, partnerships or companies to supply crowd controller and security officer services.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 22 March 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!