Apply as an individual or partnership
This page is about opening a motor vehicle dealership as an individual or in partnership in the Northern Territory.
Before you apply
You must be over 18 years old to apply.
You need to prepare and submit the following documents for each individual in the application.
Make a copy of current photographic identification - eg: driver licence, passport, birth certificate - and provide certified true copies if the application is not submitted in person.
You must have all of the following:
- a current Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) business name extract, showing the proprietor of the business name
- proof of ownership of the nominated business address, or if you are renting, a copy of lease of premises and a letter of consent/ approval from the owner to run a motor vehicle dealership
- proof that the premises is zoned for a motor vehicle dealer business - contact the Land Information Centre for help.
You can either:
- fill in the statement of financial position of a motor vehicle dealer
- or give evidence that each individual has material and financial resources to carry on business as a motor vehicle dealer - eg: a banker's guarantee or bank statement.
You need two written referee statements for each individual, stating they are a fit and proper person to be a licensed motor vehicle dealer.
How to apply
To apply online, go to Licensing NT Online or follow these steps.
Step 1. Fill in a motor vehicle dealer licence for individuals form.
Step 2. Fill in a business plan for a motor vehicle dealer licence as an individual or partnership.
Step 3. Fill in the pro forma advertisement template and advertise your intention to operate a motor vehicle dealer business in the NT News or other local newspaper, inviting objections within 14 days. Keep a copy of your advertisement, showing the date it was published.
Hiring a manager for your car yard
If you want a manager to run your motor vehicle dealership, make sure they apply for approval as a manager before starting work.