Motor vehicle dealer licences


You must have a valid motor vehicle dealer licence to run a dealership in the Northern Territory.

You can get an annual licence as an individual, partnership or corporation. Any managers working for your car yard must also apply for approval.

Licences are not transferable. If you sell your business the new owner must apply for their own licence.

Who needs a licence

You need a motor vehicle dealer licence if you buy, sell, offer for sale or exchange motor vehicles as a business.

You do not need a licence if you are a motor wrecker, finance provider, or exempt trader under the law.

You should read the Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading Act 1990.


You may be fined up to 2500 penalty units or $360,000 for operating without a licence or an approved manager.

Your vehicles and sales proceeds may also be forfeited or confiscated.

For help

Contact a Territory Business Centre for help with your application.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 11 March 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!