Northern Territory food businesses must follow the Food Standards Australia New Zealand code for food labelling.
Foods that need labels
All packaged food for retail sale must be labelled except for:
- food not in a package
- food made and packaged on the premises where it is sold
- food packaged in the presence of the purchaser
- whole or cut fresh fruit and vegetables in packaging that doesn't obscure the nature or quality of the food
- food sold at a fundraising event.
Food labels need to include the following details:
- the name of the food
- details of where the product was packed or prepared
- product batch number
- name and business address of the supplier in Australia and/or New Zealand
- mandatory advisory statements if required
- statement of ingredients
- best before or use by date
- nutrition information panel
- country of origin.
For more information go to the Food Standards Australia New Zealand website.
Find food testing laboratories approved and recognised by the NT Department of Health.
Last updated: 31 May 2018