Plants and quarantine

Plant import permits

If you want to import plant material into the Northern Territory (NT) you must first check if you need a permit.

Some plant species risk bringing new pests and diseases into the NT. 

This page has information on what plants or machinery you will need a permit for and how to apply to import them.

Importing to the NT

There are three types of applications available. 

Import permits for plant products

You will need to apply for an import permit if you to want to bring the following into the NT:

  • avocado plants
  • banana plants
  • grapevine material
  • potatoes
  • soybeans
  • turf. 

Import permits for quarantine material

You will need to apply for a permit if you want to bring the following into the NT:

  • soil 
  • plant material for diagnostic or laboratory testing.

Import permits for machinery and equipment

You will need to apply for a permit if you want to bring the following agricultural or earth moving equipment into the NT:

  • harvestors
  • ploughs
  • compactors
  • tractors
  • dozers
  • dump trucks
  • shovels
  • pruning shears
  • picking poles
  • bins and bin lids.

Who can apply

You must be in the NT  to apply for an import permit. If you are the person wanting to import plant material or machinery you must be the person listed on the application form.

How to apply

To import plants you will need to:

For quarantine material:

For machinery and equipment:

Your application is processed by the NT Quarantine Office in Darwin. You should allow five working days for approval.


NT Quarantine: Biosecurity and Animal Welfare Group
Department of Primary Industry and Resources
GPO Box 3000
Darwin NT 0800

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 05 February 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.