Request release from paying pastoral rent

If you're a pastoral lessee experiencing hardship, you can request to be released from paying rent on your lease.

This is known as pastoral lease rent release.

You can apply to be released from paying rent for a certain period. For example, for part or all of a financial year.

To be eligible, you must be able to demonstrate genuine hardship. Hardship can happen when you have been affected by:

  • an unexpected event or
  • changes that are out of your control.

You must apply to the Minister for Environment to be released from paying rent.

Check if you're eligible

Applications are assessed on a two-tiered approach:

  • tier one covers declared disasters, relative rainfall and feed outlook
  • tier two covers other types of circumstances such as:
    • decrease in stock numbers
    • market conditions
    • reduced income.

You can include other factors in your application as long as you can demonstrate hardship.

Find out more about the assessment criteria.

How to apply

To apply, follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the pastoral lease rent release application and include any supporting documents.

Pastoral lease rent release application PDF (174.4 KB)
Pastoral lease rent release application DOCX (60.2 KB)

Step 2. Submit the application by email or mail.

Pastoral Lease Administration
Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security
PO Box 496
Palmerston NT 0831


For more information, call Pastoral Lease Administration on 08 8999 4624.

Last updated: 02 September 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!