Road rules in NT
The Northern Territory (NT) road rules are officially known as the NT Traffic Regulations.
The regulations include:
- the Australian Road Rules 1999 that have been adapted by the NT Government
- and traffic infringements and penalties that apply in the NT.
Some basic road rules will always apply. You must always:
- drive on the left hand side of the road
- wear a seatbelt
- give way to the right at unsigned cross intersections
- abide by traffic signs, lights and road markings
- obey the speed limit
- bring all wheels of your vehicle to a complete halt at a stop sign
- refrain from making a U-turn at a set of traffic lights, unless a sign states you can.
Last updated: 15 December 2016