Road rules in NT
From 1 August 2019, new road rules will apply in the Northern Territory (NT).
To find out more, go to the Towards Zero Road Safety NT website.
The Northern Territory (NT) road rules are officially known as the Traffic Regulations 1999.
The regulations include:
- the Australian Road Rules 1999 that have been adapted by the NT Government
- and traffic infringements and penalties that apply in the NT.
Some basic road rules will always apply. You must always:
- drive on the left hand side of the road
- wear a seatbelt
- give way to the right at unsigned cross intersections
- abide by traffic signs, lights and road markings
- obey the speed limit
- bring all wheels of your vehicle to a complete halt at a stop sign
- refrain from making a U-turn at a set of traffic lights, unless a sign states you can.
Last updated: 01 July 2019