Apply for personalised plates
Personalised or special number plates are available in different sizes and colours.
You will have to pay a fee to apply for these plates.
It takes about six weeks for your plates to be ready. The Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) will let you know when to collect them from your chosen MVR office.
Once you receive your plates you must fix them to your vehicle as soon as possible.
Before you apply
You can apply for personalised number plates for all privately registered vehicles.
You will need to create a combination of characters for your number plate.
Your plate must not have characters that contain any of the following:
- obscene, blasphemous, offensive, sexually explicit, violent or discriminatory characters
- a combination where the number 1 or 0 can be mistaken for the character I or O or vice versa
- any combination of numbers or letters or substitution of numbers or letters where there is the potential for misrepresentation or any possibility of the plate being mistaken for another plate – eg: 5 substituted for S or 1 for I
- interstate names and initials – eg: NSW
- names of countries – eg: USA
- a combination of letters that represent government departments and authorities – eg: POLICE
- a combination of letters forming MVR plate prefixes – eg: TAXI, TV
- a diamond character that leads or ends the plate
- registered trademark or company name, unless you have the authority to display
- any combination restricted by law including Australian Defence Force
- other restrictions determined by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.
Conditions for personalised plates
The following conditions apply to all personalised plates:
- All number plates remain the property of the Registrar of Motor Vehicles. You are paying a fee for the right to display particular or personalised number plates only, and not for the purchase of the number plates.
- All plates ordered must be fitted to a current NT registered vehicle within 12 months of notification that the plates are available for collection. Your right to display may be withdrawn if the plates are not fitted to an NT registered vehicle within the 12 month period following notification.
- If the registration of the vehicle is allowed to lapse, you will retain the right to display the plate for a period of 12 months. Your right to display may expire if the plates are not fitted to an NT registered vehicle within the 12 month period immediately following the last day of registration.
- All plate applications are accepted subject to final approval by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.
- Where an application for a specific sequence has been rejected, the applicant may either apply for a fee refund or submit an alternative choice.
- The reasons a customer gives for wanting a certain plate are completely irrelevant as to whether or not the plate is acceptable.
- If complaints are received regarding a personalised number plate then the Registrar may choose to withdraw the plate from circulation and offer the owner an alternative number.
How to apply
The MVR has a new personalised plates online ordering system.
Go to MVR plates online.
The following plate orders can't be made through the online system:
- remakes of standard issue plates - lost, missing or stolen
- souvenir plates
- remakes of special series, commemorative plates and so on
- Commercial Passenger Vehicles (CPV) - taxi, substitute taxi, minibus, motor omnibus, limousine, special passenger vehicle, private hire and tourist vehicle
- pastoral car and pastoral motorcycle
- consular plates.
The MVR will call you for payment of the personalised plates fee by Visa or MasterCard.
If you agree to the above conditions, you can send your application to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
You can send a cheque or money order to pay your fee, or you can call the MVR on 1300 654 628 to pay by MasterCard or Visa once the form is received.
You can apply in person at a MVR office. You can pay your fee by MasterCard, Visa, BasicsCard, cash or EFTPOS.
To find out more contact the MVR.
For more information get a copy of V24 Vehicle number plates