Buses and taxis

This page provides information on using buses and taxis in the Northern Territory (NT) with a disability.


There are two financial assistance schemes you can apply for:

  • taxi subsidy scheme.
  • lift incentive scheme.

Taxi subsidy scheme

The taxi subsidy scheme provides a subsidy of half of the taxi fare for NT residents who have been medically assessed as having a disability or significant mobility restriction that prevents them from being able to travel on public transport.

Lift incentive scheme

The lift incentive scheme provides members with 180 x $20 lift incentives per year for trips in multi-purpose taxis or other equipped vehicles.

To read more on the schemes go to the taxi subsidy scheme page.


NT public buses have an easy-access low floor and are fitted with ramps that provide access for standard wheelchairs and light weight mobility aids.

These buses have all of the following:

  • a driver activated manual ramp
  • footpath 'kneeling' action to bring the floor closer to ground level and reduce the angle between the floor and the footpath, improving wheelchair and pram access
  • handrails and bus stop button to assist the mobility of passengers with a disability
  • room for two wheelchairs or prams in the priority seating areas
  • a special button in the priority seating area to enable those with limited upper body strength to signal when it is their stop
  • skid-resistant flooring in the priority seating area to reduce the amount of movement of wheelchairs while the bus is in motion.

Before using a public bus, you must check whether your wheelchair or mobility aid meets the size restrictions. Find out more about buses and mobility aids.

There are also bus safety rules that you and other passengers must follow.

Last updated: 17 February 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.