Apply to become a rideshare driver
To become a rideshare driver in the NT you must meet all of the following requirements:
- be at least 18 years and six months old
- hold a current NT open driver licence
- have a passport and a work visa if you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- have a current Hire and Reward (H endorsement) on your driver licence or pass the H endorsement theory test
- have a current National Police Certificate issued by SAFE NT dated within three months
- have a current medical assessment completed by a medical practitioner dated within six months
- have an ABN.
You can also get the ridesharing driver checklist .
Before you apply
Before applying online you should read the CPV05 How to obtain an H (Hire or Reward) endorsement information bulletin.
You will need to have the following ready:
- your driver licence details
- a scanned copy of your National Police Certificate
- a scanned copy of your medical assessment
- your passport and work visa details.
Complete the theory test
You will also need to complete the online Hire and Reward Knowledge test.
To check if you are ready you can do a free practice theory test online.
You will need to pay a $20 fee for sitting the test. If you don't pass, you will need to pay $20 each time you resit the test. You will be told how to pay the fee once your application is approved.
How to apply
Fill in the online ridesharing driver application.
If you plan to use your own rideshare vehicle you must also complete the Commercial Vehicle Licence online application.
Declaration: sharing of information
The Director of Commercial Passenger (Road) Transport and Registrar of Motor Vehicles is required to collect information for any licences or authorisations held under the Commercial Passenger (Road) Transport Act and Motor Vehicles Act.
The director/registrar adheres to the Information Privacy Principles and the Information Act.
By submitting an online application, you consent information being shared between the Registrar of Motor Vehicles and Director of Commercial Passenger (Road) Transport and any communications and dispatch network or motor omnibus operator where necessary, to validate personal details, including currency of authorities to drive a commercial passenger vehicle.
Note: Making a declaration knowing it is false in a material particular is an offence for which you may be fined or imprisoned.
After you apply
If your application is approved you will need to pay the theory test fee and a $6 administration fee. You will get an email telling you how to pay.
Once the fee is paid your updated driver's licence and a Commercial Passenger Vehicle identity card will be posted to you in the mail. This can take up to five working days.
You can then apply to use your vehicle for ridesharing.