Apply to become a rideshare driver
To become a rideshare driver in the Northern Territory (NT), you must have a current hire and reward (H endorsement) on your driver licence.
If you have a current H endorsement, find out how to add ridesharing to your driver licence.
If you don’t, you must pass the H endorsement theory test.
Find out more below. You should also read the CPV05 How to obtain a licence to drive a commercial passenger vehicle (H endorsement) information bulletin .
Before you apply
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- be at least 18 years and 6 months old
- have held an open driver licence (Australian or overseas) in the last 3 years for at least 12 months
- hold a current NT open driver licence
- be able to read and write in English
- have a passport and a work visa (if you're not an Australian citizen or permanent resident)
- have a current National Police Certificate issued by SAFE NT dated within three months
- have a current medical assessment completed by a medical practitioner dated within 6 months
- have an ABN.
You're not eligible to apply if:
- you hold a learner or provisional driver licence
- you're subject to an alcohol ignition lock condition.
You should check if you're ready to apply by taking a free online practice test.
How to apply
To apply, follow these steps:
Step 1. Check you have the following ready:
- passport and work visa (if you're not an Australian citizen or permanent resident)
- NT open driver licence details
- scanned copies of your National Police Certificate and medical assessment
Step 2. Pass the online hire and reward knowledge test.
You must pay a $20 fee for sitting the test. If you don't pass, you will need to pay $20 each time you resit the test.
Step 3. Once you pass the theory test, fill in the application for a licence to drive a commercial passenger vehicle (hire or reward ‘h’ endorsement).
Once you submit your application, it can take up to 10 business days to be processed.
After you apply
If your application is approved, you must also pay a $105 fee on top of the $20 test fee (or test fees if you resit the test).
You will get an email telling you how to pay.
Once the fees are paid, your new driver licence with H endorsement and CPV ID card will be sent to you in the mail.
If you plan to use your own rideshare vehicle, you must also apply to use your vehicle for ridesharing.
Last updated: 01 July 2022
Share this page:URL copied!