Operating or owning a commercial passenger vehicle

Commercial vehicle licence (CVL): apply or renew

You must hold a commercial vehicle licence (CVL) before operating a commercial passenger vehicle (CPV).

You must be accredited before you can get a CVL. Read how to apply for accreditation in the NT.

Apply for a new CVL

To apply for a new CVL follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the form

Fill in the commercial vehicle licence form PDF (616.0 KB).

Step 2. Submit the form

Submit your form in person at a MVR office or by mail.

Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801.

You will get a letter about the outcome within 10 days. If approved you must take the letter and form to a MVR office.

Step 3. Pay the fee

You will need to pay the fee at a MVR office. You can pay by Visa or MasterCard, EFTPOS or cash.

You can also pay your fee over the phone by Visa or MasterCard. Call 1300 654 628.

To find out how much you need to pay check the list of transport industry fees.

Apply to renew a CVL

To renew an existing CVL follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the form

Fill in the online commercial vehicle licence renewal form. You will need to have your CVL number ready.

You can also renew your CVL by submitting your application for a commercial vehicle licence in person at an MVR office or by mail.

Step 2. Pay the fee

If you renew online, you will get an email telling you how much you need to pay.

You can pay by Visa, Visa Debit or MasterCard.


To find out more call 1300 654 628 or email mvr@nt.gov.au.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 22 December 2017

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!