Operating or owning a commercial passenger vehicle


This guide includes the three mandatory requirements you need to operate a commercial passenger vehicle (CPV) in the Northern Territory (NT):

  1. Accreditation in the NT.
  2. Commercial vehicle licence (CVL).
  3. Registration of CPV.

There is a cap on the number of taxi licences operating in Darwin and Alice Springs and licences are currently issued through a ballot.

Taxi ballots are held when licences become available.  The ballot is advertised at least three weeks in advance.

If a taxi licence has expired for more than three months it will be considered cancelled and placed on a list of licences available in the ballot.

This guide also includes the steps you need to follow for complaints, code of conduct, multiple hire, number plates, taxi areas, meters and fares, as well as how to place your CVL licence on hold.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 31 January 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.