Heavy vehicle modifications
Modified heavy vehicles may be registered in the Northern Territory (NT) provided they conform to safety standards and are approved by the MVR.
When modifying a heavy vehicle you should consider:
- the manufacturer's guidelines on vehicle modification techniques
- the Heavy Vehicle Modifications Code of Practice on the Australian Government Department of Infrastructure website.
If you have modified your heavy vehicle, it may have to be assessed by the MVR.
Before you apply
You will need to supply all of the following:
- an application to modify a vehicle
- vehicle details such as month and year of vehicle manufacture
- additional information that will help in the assessment of your vehicle – eg:
- photos or sketches
- and certification documents such as engineering approval.
How to apply
Email your application form to email@example.com.
You can submit your completed application form and other information at a MVR office.
You can send your application form and other information to:
Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
You will be notified in writing about the outcome of the assessment.
Read more about heavy vehicle modifications .
Last updated: 26 April 2017