Heavy vehicle modifications
Modified heavy vehicles may be registered in the Northern Territory (NT) provided they conform to safety standards and are approved by the MVR.
When modifying a heavy vehicle you should consider:
- the manufacturer's guidelines on vehicle modification techniques
- the Heavy Vehicle Modifications Code of Practice on the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator website.
If you have modified your heavy vehicle, it may have to be assessed by the MVR.
Before you apply
You will need to supply all of the following:
- a completed application to modify a vehicle
- vehicle details such as month and year of vehicle manufacture
- additional information that will help in the assessment of your vehicle such as:
- photos or sketches
- and certification documents such as engineering approval.
How to apply
To apply, submit your application and any supporting documents by email, mail or in person.
You will be notified in writing about the outcome of the assessment.
Vehicle standards officer
Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics
GPO Box 2520
Darwin NT 0801
You can submit your application at an MVR office.
For more information, get the heavy vehicle modifications information bulletin .
Last updated: 15 October 2018
Share this page:URL copied!