Driver licence rules for new NT residents and visiting drivers

Changes to NT driver licences and photo ID cards

Northern Territory (NT) driver licences and all other photo ID cards issued by the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) have changed.

Read about these changes.

You can drive in the Northern Territory (NT) with your interstate or overseas licence for up to three months.

You will also need to carry an international driving permit if:

  • your overseas licence is in a language other than English
  • the type of vehicle you are authorised to drive cannot be easily recognised.

Under NT law, you must carry your licence with you at all times.

When to transfer your driver licence to the NT

If you're staying in the NT for a continuous period of more than three months, you must transfer your licence.

If you fail to transfer your licence after three months:

  • you must not drive a vehicle on a public street or place.
  • your interstate or overseas driver licence becomes invalid.

If you are moving from any Australian state or territory, you can apply to transfer your interstate licence.

If you are moving from overseas, you can apply to transfer your overseas licence. Fees and conditions apply.

Apply for driver licence exemption if visiting for more than three months

In certain circumstances, you can apply for an exemption from holding an NT driver licence if you're staying longer than three months, but not more than 12 months.

To apply, you will need all of the following:

  • a current interstate or overseas licence
  • evidence that you are temporarily in the NT
  • evidence that you are a resident of another state or country.

Applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis and other conditions may apply.

To find out more, contact your local MVR office.

Traffic infringements and demerit points for visitors

All interstate and overseas drivers must obey the Australian Road Rules and NT road rules.

If you are given a traffic infringement notice in the NT, the offence details and demerit points will be added to the NT Demerit Point Register.

A visitor who exceeds the NT demerit point threshold will have their NT driving privilege legally withdrawn.

If you are an interstate licensed driver and you receive demerit points in the NT, your offence details and demerit point history will be sent to an authority in your home state or territory.

For more information on your right to drive in the NT, see demerit points and visiting drivers and traffic offences.

Last updated: 05 March 2021

Share this page: