Homebirthing in the NT
A homebirth means you will give birth to your baby in your home with the help of a midwife skilled in homebirth.
You can give birth at home if:
- you live in Alice Springs or Darwin
- your pregnancy is uncomplicated
- there is only one baby
- the baby's head is down at birth
- labour starts between 37 and 42 weeks of pregnancy
- you have been assessed as eligible by the homebirth midwife.
You should make sure you have good support at home after the birth. You should also be confident in your choice to give birth at home.
Homebirth midwives work with hospital midwives, doctors and other health professionals as required. They follow professional guidelines.
There are regular homebirth morning teas held in the Northern Territory. You can meet other women planning a homebirth and get information from midwives.
The midwifery group practice provides homebirth care in Alice Springs and Darwin.
For more information call:
Last updated: 28 July 2021
Share this page:URL copied!