Renting in a caravan park

Move into a caravan park

This page has information for people who want to rent a caravan or caravan site from a caravan park operator in the Northern Territory (NT).

Before you move in

Before you move to a caravan park, you should find out:

  • cost of rent
  • how to pay rent
  • which caravan or caravan site you are renting
  • length of your rental agreement
  • if you have to pay a security deposit
  • whether you need to get a condition report.

Occupancy agreement

You also need to sign a caravan park occupancy agreement.

Make sure you understand and agree with the terms of your caravan park occupancy agreement.

You should also:

  • check that information provided by the operator is truthful
  • negotiate special terms and conditions and agree to these in writing
  • pay rent in advance if required
  • pay the security deposit if required
  • sign and keep a copy of the condition report.

Your operator will return a copy of the signed occupancy agreement to you within seven days of signing.

During your occupancy

You should do all of the following during your occupancy:

  • use the site as a place to live
  • use the site, park and facilities appropriately
  • ensure guests use the site, park and facilities appropriately
  • do not use the site for illegal purposes
  • pay rent and other charges on time
  • tell the operator about damage to park facilities
  • do not allow more people to live on your site than what your agreement allows
  • speak to the operator before trying to fix problems
  • follow the park rules.

Information for caravan owners

If you own a mobile home or caravan and want to stay long term in a caravan park, you need to talk to the park operator. They may not allow long term residents.

Private owners of mobile homes in residential parks can't rent directly to a tenant.

The park operator can agree to act for the owner. They become the landlord and manage the tenancy on behalf of the owner.

For more information on living in a mobile home contact NT Consumer Affairs.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 16 October 2015

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.