Pets in public housing

You can keep pets in your public housing property under the following conditions:

  • they do not prevent lawful entry to the property
  • they do not cause a nuisance or danger to others
  • they do not cause damage to public housing property
  • you comply with all local council by-laws for keeping pets
  • you look after your pet's welfare and safety
  • your pet is registered and has relevant certificates
  • the body corporate allows pets.

Local councils have their own by-laws that will tell you the number and type of pets you can have.


You must get written approval to build a permanent structure such as a cage, enclosure or fence.

Read more about alterations and additions.

You cannot keep livestock in public housing.

You cannot keep any of the following livestock:

  • chickens and other poultry
  • horses or camels
  • pigs including wild pigs
  • cattle or buffalo
  • crocodiles
  • sheep
  • goats
  • deer
  • llamas
  • alpacas
  • honey bees
  • any other animal declared to be livestock -  read the Livestock Act 2008.

You cannot keep pets for breeding or commercial purposes without written consent from the Department of  Local Government, Housing and Community Development.

Make a complaint

You should make a complaint if you are worried that an animal is:

  • possibly dangerous
  • causing a nuisance
  • injured or ill
  • being badly treated or neglected.

You can contact either contact your local housing office or Animal Welfare.

Read more about reporting animal cruelty or neglect.

If you receive a complaint

The department receives complaints about animals.

If you are the pet owner, you will be asked to solve the problem.

Examples include all of the following:

  • excessive noise
  • attracting pests
  • aggressive behaviour
  • fouling areas
  • roaming.

If you do not take action, your tenancy agreement may be terminated and you will be asked to leave your home.

If the complaint is serious or if the animal is causing a nuisance or is dangerous, the local council or Animal Welfare will be alerted.

You are responsible for any damage your pet causes to public housing property.

You must repair the damage to an acceptable standard.

If the damage is more than minor, or likely to be repeated, you will be asked to either:

  • restrict your pet
  • or remove your pet permanently.

You are responsible for looking after your pets and making sure they are well cared for and safe.

Read more about being a responsible pet owner.

For more information about keeping pets in public housing, contact your local housing office.

Last updated: 28 June 2019

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.