End your public housing tenancy

When you move out of your public housing home you must leave it in the same condition as when you moved in, allowing for fair wear and tear. 

Condition report

You should check a copy of the property condition report you filled in when you first moved in. 

You should make sure your home is clean and everything is in working order.

Go to look after your public housing home to read more about cleaning your home. 

Inspection before you move out

You can ask for an inspection before you move out. 

This is called a pre-vacate inspection and will make sure you are ready for the final inspection. 

To arrange a pre-vacate inspection contact your local public housing office.


When you move out you must immediately return all your keys to your local public housing office.

If you do not return them immediately you may be charged rent up to the date the keys are returned.

You may also be charged for the cost of changing the locks and replacing the keys and this will be deducted from your bond money.

Bond money

Once you have given back your keys, you will receive your bond money within seven days. 

You may not receive all your bond money back if any of the following apply:

  • there is damage
  • the keys or locks needed replacing or changing
  • your house needs more cleaning
  • you owe rent money.

If you do not agree with the amount of bond being returned, contact the Commissioner of Tenancies at NT Consumer Affairs.

Last updated: 22 October 2015

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!