Start your public housing tenancy

Find information below for starting a public housing tenancy in the Northern Territory.


You must start your tenancy within seven days from the date you accepted the offer.

Before you move in, you must do all of the following:

  • pay your first rental payment
  • pay your bond
  • sign your tenancy or lease agreement
  • complete a property condition report.

You will then get your keys so you can move in.

The tenancy agreement is a legally binding document that includes all of the following:

  • how much rent you must pay
  • when the regular payments of rent must be made
  • how much bond money you must pay
  • your rights and responsibilities as a tenant
  • the rights and responsibilities of the Department of Territory Families, Housing and Communities as your landlord.

It is important that you read and understand the tenancy agreement.

You should also keep a copy of your signed and dated agreement. The department will also keep a copy on file.

If you breach any conditions, your lease may be terminated and you will be told to move out.

For more information, read the guide to the public housing tenancy agreement PDF (2.4 MB).

If English isn't your first language, the public housing tenancy agreement guide is available in a number of languages to help you understand your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.

The guide also has audio that you can listen to.

Listen to the guide

To listen to the audio, you will need to download the guide onto your computer (the audio will not play in the web browser).

Follow these steps:

Step 1. Choose the PDF file you want and right click  'save link as' or 'save target as' onto your computer.

Step 2. Make sure you have the right version of Adobe Reader and Flash to play the audio. For more information, go to the Adobe website.

Step 3. Open the guide and click on the 'ear' icon to play the audio.

Get the guide

The guide is available in the following languages. Download the files to hear the audio.

Aboriginal languagesEthnic languages
Alyawarr PDF (32.7 MB)Arabic PDF (23.0 MB)
Anindiliyakway PDF (38.1 MB)Burmese PDF (21.3 MB)
Arrernte PDF (22.6 MB)Greek PDF (18.7 MB)
Burrara PDF (32.6 MB)Indonesian PDF (19.4 MB)
Maung PDF (36.4 MB)Khmer PDF (27.5 MB)
Murrinh-patha PDF (27.2 MB)Portuguese PDF (19.8 MB)
Pintupi-luritja PDF (21.5 MB) Swahili PDF (15.2 MB)
Pitjantjatjara PDF (25.1 MB)Vietnamese PDF (14.8 MB)
Warlpiri PDF (20.9 MB) 
Warumungu PDF (33.2 MB) 
Yolngu-matha PDF (26.9 MB) 

If you need further help with English

If you are having difficulty understanding your tenancy agreement, more help is available from your local housing office.

Interpreters are also available if you need one. Find out about interpreter services.

A condition report on your property will also be filled out before you move in and you will be invited to be there, to help and agree to what is recorded.

These condition reports are essential to protect you as the tenant and the department from being charged maintenance costs that are not their responsibility.

For more information, read the vacant property maintenance fact sheet PDF (475.8 KB).

Last updated: 05 October 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!