Crown land management

The Crown Land Estate is responsible for managing Crown land in the Northern Territory (NT).

This includes all of the following:

  • occupation licences
  • building leases
  • miscellaneous licences
  • temporary use of Crown land for a range of events
  • maintenance of Crown land, including:
    • litter control
    • weed control
    • fire breaks
    • management of illegal uses
  • permits to discharge a firearm on Crown land.

Read more about the weed management strategy on Crown land on the Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics website.

Find out more about Crown land sales and how to buy Crown land.

The public can use Crown land for activities that comply with the law, and:

  • are not of a commercial nature
  • do not create a disturbance to the land.

Commercial activities on Crown land require a licence granted under the Crown Lands Act 1992. A licence is required for large organised activities of a non-commercial nature, such as:

  • festivals
  • concerts
  • weddings
  • advertised community events.

To apply for a licence to use Crown land, contact your nearest Crown Land Estate office.

The Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics is responsible for the licencing of Crown land.

Read about the usage of Crown land policy PDF (801.5 KB).

If you see any illegal dumping taking place, you can contact a Crown Land Estate office.

You should record the following:

  • the registration plate of any vehicle involved
  • the date
  • time
  • location.

These reports can be made anonymously.

Specific Crown land has been set aside to allow for the discharge of a firearm.

This helps you apply for a firearms licence from the NT Police.

For information on who can apply for a firearms licence, read firearms licences and weapons.

For details on rules and regulations around hunting and shooting in the NT, read hunting and shooting.

To apply for a permit to discharge a firearm on Crown Land, read shooting on vacant Crown land.


For more information, contact the Crown Land Estate office.

Last updated: 17 March 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!