Maintenance and renovating your property

This page has information for property owners wanting to do maintenance work and provides help for those planning renovations or alterations.

There is a lot of work you can do yourself but under Northern Territory (NT) law you must use an NT licensed or registered professional for certain jobs.

Types of jobs that need a licensed professional include:

  • any electrical work
  • any plumbing
  • some tiling in wet areas
  • some building work.

To find out more about building approval and requirements for registered builders read about building and renovating a home.

You can also read about renovating and refurbishing wet areas in your home.

Find a licensed tradesperson

To find or check if a tradesperson or professional has an NT licence or registration you can go to these licensing board websites:

If you need help to find the right licensing board contact your local Territory Business Centre.

You can look in the local Yellow Pages for a local tradesperson and then check their licence or registration online.

Before you start

You must understand what is involved in the work you want to get done and if any permits and permissions are needed.

Read more about building and renovating a home.

Doing work on heritage listed properties

There are special requirements and strict conditions if you want to do any building work to a heritage-listed property.

Read about building works and development for heritage properties.

You can check if your property is listed by searching the heritage register.

You will need to call the Heritage Branch on (08) 8999 5036 to discuss your plans if your property is heritage listed. Each property is different.

You may be able to apply for a heritage grant to help with maintenance costs.

Last updated: 09 June 2017

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!