Stamp duty: senior, pensioner and carer concession

If you are a senior citizen, pensioner or carer, you may be eligible for a reduction in stamp duty if you buy a home or land on which to build a home.

You must be at least 60 years or over or a member of the NT Concession Scheme.

Find out about other concessions for NT pensioner and carer concession holders.‚Äč

If you buy vacant land for a new home, you must provide evidence of your intent to build with your application. Otherwise, you will need to pay the full amount of stamp duty. Once you can provide evidence, you can claim a refund.

You should read the stamp duty senior, pensioner and carer concession guide under the forms section on the Department of Treasury and Finance website.

To find out if you are eligible for the SPCC, complete the eligibility test.

You can get up to $10,000 off the stamp duty you need to pay.

If you are eligible for more than one home assistance concession or grant, you will be entitled to the higher grant or concession amount.

The scheme is not means tested but you cease to be eligible if the dutiable value of the home is over $750,000 or if the dutiable value of the land is $385,000.

There is no limit on the cost of a home to be built on land.

You can apply for the SPCC before or after you pay stamp duty on your home.

If you have not yet paid stamp duty, the SPCC will reduce the amount you have to pay.

If you have already paid stamp duty, a refund will be made to you.

To apply for the SPCC, follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the application - this can be found in the guide.

Step 2. Attach any supporting documents.

Step 3. Submit your form.

If you are claiming the SPCC as a reduction on stamp duty, submit your form to your conveyancer or solicitor.

If you are claiming SPCC after the stamp duty has been paid, submit your form to the Territory Revenue Office by mail or email:

Territory Revenue Office
GPO Box 1974
Darwin NT 0801

If you disagree with a decision

If your application for the SPCC has been rejected and you believe the decision was wrong you can lodge an objection.

An objection must be made in writing and submitted to the Territory Revenue Office within 60 days of the decision being made. It must clearly outline the grounds of objection.

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your objection, you may appeal against the decision to the Taxation and Royalty Appeals Tribunal or the Supreme Court.

If your circumstances change

At least one applicant must live in the home within 12 months of completion. They should stay there for a continuous period of at least six months.

In special circumstances the Commissioner can change this requirement.

To find out more read the Commissioner's guideline on discretion to exempt or vary compliance with the eligibility criteria.

Commissioner's guideline: discretion to exempt or vary compliance with the eligibility criteria DOCX (221.4 KB)
Commissioner's guideline: discretion to exempt or vary compliance with the eligibility criteria PDF (241.6 KB)

If you are not able to comply with any requirements of your grant, you must advise the Commissioner of Territory Revenue in writing within 30 days of your circumstances changing.

For more information contact TRO by calling 1300 305 353.

Last updated: 08 October 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!