Wastewater management

Wastewater: rural and remote residential

This page has information for people who want to install an on-site wastewater system on their residential rural or remote property.

All on-site wastewater systems must be installed by a licensed plumber. If the system is to be installed inside a building control area, the design and installation must be certified.

Alternative on-site wastewater systems

For all alternative on-site systems, your licensed plumber must fill in a notification of installation of an on-site wastewater system before work starts.

When work is finished, they must submit the second part of the form, the notification of installation completion.

Notification of installation/completion of an on-site wastewater system DOCX (86.8 KB)
Notification of installation/completion of an on-site wastewater system PDF (398.9 KB)

The form must be submitted to the Department of Health using the contact details provided.

Read more about alternative on-site and other types of wastewater system.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 02 April 2019

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.