Building control areas

Hide menu

Building outside of building control areas

You don't need a building permit or a fidelity fund certificate to build outside a declared building control area.

Areas outside building control areas may include:

  • freehold land
  • most Indigenous communities
  • pastoral properties
  • some mining towns
  • mining sites
  • resorts in remote locations.

Building contracts and documentation

You don't need to engage a registered building contractor outside of a building control area, but you can still engage one for your work.

Read about choosing a builder or contractor and signing a residential building contract.

Building to the requirements of the National Construction Code may be a condition of your funds, grants, loans or land leases.

You should always check that these requirements are included in your building contract.

Keep your documents safe

Keep copies of your inspection records, any building work documents and contracts in case you need to refer to them.

These documents are not retained by the Director of Building Control.

The documents can help confirm that building work has been completed properly if you sell the property.

They can also help if you have a dispute with the builder or if a building defect becomes apparent.

Other permits and approvals

If your land is outside of a building control area, even if you do not need a building permit, you may still need to apply for a development permit, also known as a planning permit.

To apply for a development permit, contact a planner from Development Assessment Services.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 03 September 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!