Converting a shed into a house

This page has information about the approvals required if you're converting a shed into a house.

Building sheds and houses

The difference between a shed and a house is not about appearance.

Sheds are generally classified as non-habitable or class 10 buildings under the National Construction Code.

A house is classified as a habitable building, or class 1a building, under the code.

Legal responsibilities for converting a shed

You must engage a building certifier to determine the building work required for your conversion and to issue building approval and occupancy certification for the work.

Your building work may involve inspection, replacement or installation of any of the following:

  • a concrete slab or footings
  • termite risk management systems
  • ceiling heights
  • glazing
  • damp proofing
  • windows
  • ventilation
  • energy efficiency
  • fire separation.

The building certifier will need plans to be drawn up to detail the building work to be done.

Read more about building and renovating a home.

Use of land

You should check if converting your shed into a house is permitted under the Northern Territory Planning Scheme.

For example, you can only have one dwelling per lot on land zoned Single Dwelling (SD). This could prevent you from converting a shed if there is already an existing house on the lot.

You must also follow Northern Territory Planning Scheme setback requirements for residential buildings and associated structures.

For more information about Northern Territory Planning Scheme requirements contact Development Assessment Services.

Last updated: 07 March 2019

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.