Accommodation and welfare for international students

This page has information on accommodation for international students attending a government school.

If you are an international student, you can get help finding suitable accommodation while you attend a Northern Territory government school.

Accommodation options

The following options are available: 

  • staying with relatives
  • boarding with a homestay family.

Staying with relatives

You may live with a relative provided they meet Department of Immigration and Boarder Protection approval.

Relatives must be over 21 years of age.

Relatives must take responsibility for your welfare if you are aged between 15 and 18 by completing the relevant sections of the student visa application form.

Students under the age of 15 must live with a parent while studying in a Northern Territory government school. Exceptional circumstances will be assessed on a case by case basis.

Go to the Department of Immigration and Boarder Protection website for more information on staying with relatives and visa requirements.

Boarding with host families

If you are between 15 and 18 years old, and are not living with relatives, you must live in homestay accommodation approved by the Department of Education. 

Read more about living with a homestay family.

Last updated: 28 November 2017