Types of sentences for young people
There are many different types of sentences that a court can give a young person.
The type of sentence depends on the seriousness of the young person's crime and their circumstance.
A court could do any of the following:
- continue the young person's bail, which may include electronic monitoring, with or without supervision
- order a young people attend a diversion program
- let the young person go with a warning and no penalty
- give the young person a fine
- order the young people to do community work
- put the young person on a good behaviour bond with or without supervision
- release the young person under certain supervision conditions
- order alternative detention, where the young person is released to home detention on strict restrictions, which may include electronic monitoring
- order a young person go to a detention centre for a period of time
- suspend their order to send a person to detention - which means a young person is released and may be on probation and under supervision.