Young people and going to court

Arriving at the Youth Justice Court

Young people should go to court with a parent, alternative family member or carer, who is legally responsible for them. 

If the young person must attend Youth Justice Court in Darwin, they should go to the Childrens Court at the TCG Centre, 80 Mitchell Street.

If the young person is attending Youth Justice Court in Alice Springs, Katherine or any remote community, they may need to ask a court officer to help find the courtroom for that day.

The young person and their family member or carer should speak to the lawyer representing the young person when they arrive at court. 

Their lawyer could be any of the following:

  • a private lawyer
  • a Northern Territory Legal Aid lawyer
  • a Northern Australian Aboriginal Justice Agency lawyer 
  • a Central Australian Aboriginal Legal Aid lawyer

Find out how to get legal advice.

Young people on remand in detention

A young person who is on remand in a detention centre will be taken to court by an officer from the Department of Correctional Services.

Parents or carers should speak to the lawyer who is representing the young person when they arrive at court.

Find out more about young people remanded in detention.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 28 January 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!