Where you can't drink in the NT

Where you can't drink in Nhulunbuy and East Arnhem

Nhulunbuy (Gove) 

You can't buy takeaway alcohol without a liquor permit

This means you cannot drink alcohol in public and community places.

You can be given a penalty if you are caught drinking in this area without a liquor permit. 

Where you can drink alcohol in Nhulunbuy

You can still drink alcohol in all of the following places:

Read about buying takeaway alcohol in the East Arnhem region

Grooyte Eylandt

You can only drink alcohol in all of the following:

  • licensed premises
  • in the home of a liquor permit holder.

You can only apply for a permit if you are a resident of Alyangula or Umbakumba. 

Read about applying for a liquor permit

Rest of East Arnhem 

You need a liquor permit to buy and drink takeaway alcohol within the East Arnhem area.

Read about applying for a liquor permit.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 19 August 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.