You must hold a liquor permit to buy and drink takeaway alcohol in any general restricted area in the Northern Territory (NT).

You can still drink alcohol in a licensed bar, restaurant or club. 

Over the coming months more regions across the Northern Territory (NT) will become general restricted areas. 

You need to check with your local licensing sergeant at the police station, or at your local Territory Business Centre to find out if you are going to require a permit.

If you want to have alcohol at a public event such as a festival or function, you must apply for a special event permit

Find out if you live in a general restricted area.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 28 November 2017