Apply for an individual liquor permit
Apply for a liquor permit in East Arnhem
This page has information for people who live in the East Arnhem region, including the Gunyangara, Yirrkala, Ski Beach, Galupa and Nhulunbuy communities, who want to apply for a liquor permit.
These areas are dry areas.
There are restrictions on how much alcohol you can drink depending on the conditions of your permit.
This page also has information about applying for a permit if you are a regular visitor with recognised accommodation, or a tourist.
Who can apply
You can apply for a permit if you are:
- over 18 years old
- a permanent or long term resident
- a visitor with recognised accommodation
- a tourist.
Documents you will need
If you are applying for a permit as a short term visitor or long term resident you must have one of the following.
- a current driver's license
- 18+ card
You will also need to provide either:
- proof of employment
- proof of residence, like a power bill.
If you are an overseas tourist you can apply for a short-term visitor permit.
You must have one of the following:
- a government issued photo ID card
- proof of residence
- proof of employment
How to apply
To apply for a liquor permit follow these steps:
Step 1. Fill in the form:
Permit lengths and conditions
There are two types of permits you can apply for if you are living or visiting communities in the East Arnhem region.
Permanent or long term permits
If you have lived in the region for more than one year you are classed as a long term resident.
You will have to apply for a long term liquor permit. Permits are valid for three years unless revoked.
You must reapply for a new permit when it expires.
Short-term (visitor) permits
If you don't live in the area you will have to apply for a short-term liquor permit.
They are given to tourists or visitors who have recognised accommodation.
You can apply to have a short-term permit to cover the length of your stay.
If your stay runs longer than the life of the permit you will need to reapply for a new one.
If you are a visitor living with a permanent or long term resident you can drink alcohol under the resident's permit while you wait for your permit.
In order to do this the:
- permanent resident must have a current permit
- visitor must follow the conditions of the resident's permit
- permanent resident can give you alcohol, but only out of their own amount.
If a visitor breaks any of the permanent resident's permit conditions, the permit holder can have their permit revoked.
Liquor permits issued outside the general restricted area are not valid if you are visiting the region. If you are found guilty of any breaches in the general restricted area your permit can be revoked.
If you are a frequent visitor, such as government employee or contractor who regularly works in the general restricted area, you might need to apply for a long-term liquor permit.
How much alcohol you are allowed in East Arnhem
Takeaway alcohol restrictions are decided by what level your permit is set at.
There are six levels for permit holders who live in Nhulunbuy. All other areas of East Arnhem including Gunyangara, Yirrkala communities have access to the first four levels.
If you are a new permit holder or having your permit reinstated after a ban, you must start at level one.
You will remain on each level for one month. At the end of each month you need to apply to the permit committee to have you level reviewed.
You are allowed to buy:
- six 375ml cans of light beer and/or one bottle of wine.
You are allowed to buy either:
- six 375ml cans of midstrength beer and/or one bottle of wine
- or 12 cans of light beer and/or one bottle of wine.
You are allowed by buy one of the following:
- six 375ml fullstrength beer cans and/or one bottle of wine
- 12 midstrength cans and/or one bottle of wine
- six 375ml premix cans.
You are allowed to buy one of the following::
- 12 375ml fullstrength beer cans and/or two bottles of wine
- 24 midstrength beer cans and/or two bottles of wine
- 12 375ml premix cans and/or two bottles of wine.
If you live in Nhulunbuy there are two extra levels available on your permit.
Level 5 and 6 are only available to permit holders who live in that community.
You are allowed to buy one of the following:
- one 30 pack carton of 375ml fullstrength beer cans and/or two bottles of wine
- one 30 pack carton of 375ml midstrength beer cans and/or two bottles of wine
- 24 375ml premix cans and/or two bottles of wine.
If you live in Nhulunbuy and you hold a Level 6 permit your choice of takeaway alcohol is unrestricted.
Nhulunbuy Police Station
16 Matthew Flinders Way
Nhulunbuy NT 0800
Phone: (08) 8987 1333
Nhulunbuy Permit Office
Shop 4/5-19 Westal Street
Nhulunbuy NT 0880
Phone: (08) 8987 0451
Alcohol Management: Licensing NT
of the Attorney-General and Justice
GPO BOX 1154
Darwin NT 0801
Last updated: 06 February 2019