Apply to the NT Civil and Administrative Tribunal

On 1 January 2021, the Petroleum Regulations 2020 came into effect.

This information is for petroleum companies that want to carry out authorised activities in the Northern Territory (NT).

You must have a land access agreement in place with the landholder before you start regulated petroleum operations.

If you can’t negotiate a land access agreement with the landholder, you may apply to the Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT).

When you can apply to the NTCAT

You can only apply to the NTCAT if you have already done the following:

  • tried to negotiate directly with the landholder in good faith for at least 60 days and
  • taken part in an alternative dispute resolution process without reaching an agreement.

How to apply

To apply, go to the NTCAT website.

You will need to pay a fee.

Notify the chief executive officer

You must also notify the Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade chief executive officer within seven days of applying to the NTCAT.

Follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the notice to chief executive officer DOCX (65.6 KB).

Step 2. Submit the notice to Land Access.

After you apply

The NTCAT will make a decision and set out a land access agreement between you and the landholder.

You must then register the agreement with the minister for mining and industry within 28 days of it being made by the NTCAT.

You will need to pay a fee.

Follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the application to register access agreement DOCX (64.7 KB).

Step 2. Submit the notice to Land Access.

Pay the landholder's costs

If you apply to the NTCAT for a land access agreement, you must pay the reasonable costs of the landholder to take part in the proceedings.

You are not responsible for costs if the NTCAT:

  • feels the landholder has acted unreasonably or
  • considers it inappropriate or unfair.

Last updated: 15 February 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!