After a mineral title has been granted

Apply for rehabilitation rent for a extractive mineral permit

As a mineral title holder, your annual rent and administration fees must be paid before the start of each operational year.

Read more on standard mineral title fees and rent.

Under the Mineral Title Regulations 2011 (MTR), you may be eligible to apply for the rehabilitation rent rate if you hold:

  • an extractive mineral permit (EMP) or
  • a mineral authority (MA) for an EMP.

In Schedule 1, Part 2 of the MTR, the reduced annual rent is 10 revenue units.

The purpose of rehabilitation rent is to assist you to complete the required rehabilitation on a title prior to cessation.

Before you apply

As a EMP holder or MA for an EMP, you must meet the following criteria:

  • extractive works have ceased on the title
  • title is authorised under the Mining Management Act 2011 and
  • rehabilitation works have begun or are due to begin in the next operational year.

How to apply

You must submit your application before the anniversary date of your title, and follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in application

Fill in the rehabilitation rent request - extractive mineral permit application:

Rehabilitation rent request - extractive mineral permit application DOCX (62.1 KB)

Rehabilitation rent request - extractive mineral permit application PDF (563.4 KB).

Step 2. Submit your application

Submit your application by mail, email or in person to the Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade.

By mail

Mineral Titles Branch
Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade
GPO Box 4550
Darwin NT 0801

By email

In person

Mineral Titles Branch
Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade
Level 5 Paspalis Centrepoint building
Darwin NT 0800

Step 3. Assessment and conditions

After you submit your application, a mining or authorised officer will inspect the title to assist with your application assessment.

If your application is still under assessment when the annual rent is due, you must pay the rent at the standard rate.

If your application is approved, the over payment in rent will be reimbursed to you and the rehabilitation rent rate will be in place for a period of up to two years.

Any requests beyond this are on a case by case basis and more inspections will need to be carried out.

If extractive works recommence on a title that has approved rehabilitation rent, you may be required to pay the difference between the rehabilitation rent and the standard rent.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 01 October 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!