Radiation compliance certificates and registrations

Apply to be an accredited radiation company or individual

This page has information for companies and individuals who want to install, repair, service and test radiation sources in the Northern Territory (NT).

Who needs accreditation

You need to be accredited to do any of the following:

  • issue certificates of compliance for radiation sources and radiation places
  • decommission a radiation source
  • install a radiation source
  • repair or service a radiation source
  • test a radiation source.

Before you apply

Your accreditation will be restricted depending on your training, qualifications, experience and the type of work you do.

If you install, repair or service radiation sources

You must hold suitable qualifications or hold suitable trade certificates to install, repair or service a radiation source.

Once you have accreditation, you are authorised to do whatever you need to carry out work on a radiation source according to the conditions of your accreditation.

You may issue a certificate of compliance for a radiation source in line with NT radiation codes of practice.

If you decommission radiation sources

Decommissioning a radiation source means that you remove radiation apparatus or a sealed radiation source according to NT codes of practice and standards.

To decommission a radiation source you must:

Ensure that the principal licence holder is authorised to sell a radiation source before proceeding.

If you test radiation sources

You need a certificate of accreditation to test a radiation source. To qualify, you need to provide evidence of relevant:

  • experience
  • qualifications
  • training.

Nationally recognised Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) course

If you have completed a nationally recognised radiation safety officer (RSO) course, you may be able to get accreditation to:

  • test a radiation source according to your accreditation conditions
  • issue a certificate of compliance for a radiation source
  • issue a certificate of compliance for a radiation place.

Medical physicists

A medical physicist be accredited to test radiation sources in areas like oncology, diagnostic radiology and nuclear medicine.

In these areas, a medical physicist may be involved with:

  • equipment performance
  • radiation protection
  • dose determination
  • quality assurance procedures
  • radiation source quality control.

Professional societies like the Australasian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers in Medicine (ACPSEM) exist to ensure that a medical physicist has suitable qualifications and experience.

Trainee technicians

Trainee technicians can apply for a one year licence to 'otherwise deal' with a radiation source. You must work under direct supervision of a holder of a certificate of accreditation.

Your supervisor must provide a letter to the manager of Radiation Protection stating that you will be supervised during training. Send the letter to Radiation Protection using one of the contact methods listed below.

How to apply

To apply follow these steps.

Step 1. Fill in an application for a certificate of accreditation form.
Step 2. Check the fee.
Step 3. Submit your application in one of the following ways.

In person
Submit your application and fee at your nearest Receiver of Territory Monies Office.

Email, fax or mail
Phone the Receiver of Territory monies on (08) 8999 1606 and pay the fee by credit card.

Enter your payment receipt number on the application form and do one of the following:

Radiation Protection
Department of Health
PO Box 40596
Casuarina NT 0811

Fax: (08) 8922 7334

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 20 September 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!