Operate a sexual services business

If you want to operate a sexual services business in the Northern Territory (NT), you must apply for a suitability certificate.

What a sexual services business does

A sexual services business has three or more sex workers, that provides for, or arranges, sex work.

This includes services provided on the premises or in a different location.

Who can apply

Individuals, companies, partnerships and body corporates can apply for a suitability certificate.

To apply, you must meet the following criteria:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • have not been found guilty of a relevant offence – see below
  • have not been bankrupt
  • have not had a suitability certificate or similar certificate revoked in another state or territory.

Relevant offences

You can't apply for a suitability certificate if you have committed any of these offences:

  • dangerous drug use or possession
  • assault
  • sexual assault
  • fraud or dishonesty
  • theft
  • breached the Fair Work Act 2009 or a work health and safety law.

How to apply

You must apply for a suitability certificate before you operate your sexual services business.

If you are a body corporate or partnership, you must apply for a suitability certificate for:

  • each executive officer and nominee of a body corporate
  • each partner in a partnership.

An executive officer of a body corporate is someone who is a director or takes part in the management of the organisation.

By email, mail, fax or in person

To apply by mail, email, fax or in person, follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the application for a sex services operator's suitability certificate DOCX (51.3 KB).

Step 2. Pay the $121 application fee.

Step 3. Submit your application and fee at any Territory Business Centre.

After you apply

If your application is approved, you will receive your certificate in the post.

You won’t need to renew your certificate while you operate your business.

If you move to another sexual services business, you will need to apply for a separate certificate.

Rules for advertising your business

There are guidelines you must follow if you want to advertise your sexual services business.

Last updated: 16 July 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.