Self-exclusion from a licensed venue

If you want to stop yourself from gambling at one or more venues, you must submit a self-exclusion notice.

This is an agreement not to gamble at a venue in the Northern Territory (NT) and can be for up to 2 years.

After that, you can choose to fill in another self-exclusion notice or end your agreement.

Before you apply, contact the venue licensee or a participating counselling service.

They will let you know what is involved in submitting a request.

If you agree to the conditions, you can submit a self-exclusion notice for one or all of the following licensed venues:

  • the entire premises
  • the gaming area
  • Keno betting
  • table machines
  • gaming machines (pokies)
  • TAB
  • lottery betting services.

You can also read more about self-exclusion from a sports bookmaker or betting exchange operator.

You can apply to exclude yourself from up to 35 multiple venues using one application.

To do this, follow these steps:

Step 1. Speak with one of the following and let them know you would like to apply for one or more venue exclusions:

Step 2. Meet them in person so they can:

  • enter your details into the NT Gambling Care system
  • take your photograph
  • print a self-exclusion deed for you to sign.

See a sample of the self-exclusion deed PDF (154.1 KB) provided by the Registered Clubs Association of NSW © ClubsNSW.

For any questions, contact NT Gambling Care in Hospitality NT using the contact details above.

Other way to apply for single venue exclusion

If you want to exclude yourself from one venue and can't follow the process above, you can also apply at that specific venue.

To apply, follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the self-exclusion notice.

Self-exclusion notice PDF (49.4 KB)
Self-exclusion notice DOCX (55.4 KB)

Step 2. Attach one front-facing passport-sized photograph - you can also provide a side profile photo as well.

Step 3. Have a witness sign your form.

Step 4. Submit your notice to the venue licensee.

From the time you submit a self-exclusion notice, you have a 3-day cooling off period to change your mind.

If you want to stop your self-exclusion notice during this period, speak to a venue licensee.

After the cooling off period, your self-exclusion notice will be enforced for the requested timeframe.

During this timeframe, you must:

  • try not enter any part of the venue from which you are self-excluded
  • inform the licensee if you do enter any part of the self-excluded area
  • not make a claim against a venue or licensee for any losses you suffer as a result of gambling in the excluded area.

You should also read the gambling code of practice.

If you’re the licensee of a venue where somebody has applied for self-exclusion, you must:

  • provide information about any assistance or support services available
  • remove their name from player loyalty lists promoting gaming during their self-exclusion period
  • take reasonable steps to prevent them from entering a prohibited area or taking part in gambling activities.

Find support services for problem gambling below.

Amity Community Service

The Amity Community Service offers a free 24-hour gambling helpline via 1800 858 858.

You can also email them at

To find out more, go to the Amity Community Service website.

Anglicare NT

If you’re experiencing problem gambling, Anglicare NT can help you.

You can email them at or call:

For more information, go to the Anglicare NT website.


For more information on self-exclusion, contact Licensing NT.

Last updated: 11 August 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!