This page has general information for commercial citrus growers in the Northern Territory (NT).

The citrus crops grown commercially in the NT include lemons, limes, red fleshed grapefruit, mandarins and pummelo.

You must comply with current quarantine entry conditions if you want to import citrus trees from interstate.

Grower advice

The lack of cold nights in the NT causes erratic flowering in many citrus varieties. Flowering in some varieties can be forced through moisture stressing or droughting after the wet season.


The red fleshed grapefruit is grown successfully in Katherine and Darwin.

Ray and Henderson varieties are the most productive in the Top End, although Rio and Flame varieties have better colour.


Lemons are grown in the Darwin and Katherine regions.

Eureka and Lisbon are the main commercial varieties. Lisbon tends to do better in dry areas.

Pests and diseases

There are some significant international pests and diseases affecting citrus, including citrus greening and citrus canker.

Read about citrus greening PDF (645.3 KB).

For more information about citrus canker go to the Department of Primary Industry and Resources website.

Insect pests

Visit the Northern Territory Insects Database to identify an insect pest and the damage it can cause.

Research results

View the following industry and scientific research for citrus:

Go to the NSW Department of Primary Industries website to get a guide to managing citrus orchards with less water.

You can also search the online publications library to find the results of research regarding individual fruit and plant types.

General information

For general horticulture advice and information, read general advice for fruit and vegetable growers.

Industry associations

For information about the citrus industry visit the Citrus Australia website and NT Farmers website.

Last updated: 22 September 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.