Using chemicals responsibly

Poisons and restricted chemical products

There are restrictions on the use of certain poisons and chemicals which can cause harm at low levels of exposure.

You must apply for a permit to obtain restricted chemicals, and you will only get permission if you can demonstrate you have the necessary skills and training to use them safely.

Schedule 7 chemicals

The Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) classifies medicines and poisons into schedules that control how they are made available to the public.

The different schedules are based on how much control is needed on a substance to protect public health and safety.

Schedule 7 chemicals are considered dangerous poisons which need special precautions for manufacture, handling and use.

You must be authorised to possess and use Schedule 7 products. To get authorised, you must prove the product is essential for the proposed use, and that you are competent.

Approval will not be granted if the use is an unacceptable risk to health, the environment or trade.

See below for how to get authorisation.

Restricted chemical products

A product may be declared a restricted chemical product (RCP) by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA).

Pre-construction termite treatments containing chlorpyrifos or bifenthrin, and vertebrate pest control products such as sodium fluroacetate -1080- are examples of restricted products.

You must get a permit to possess and use such products.

For more information about RCPs, go to the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority website.

Guidelines for use

Read the requirements for people authorised to possess and use Schedule 7 (s7) or RCP pesticides:

You should also read the Code of Practice for handling pesticides.

Applying for a permit to use restricted chemical products

To apply for a permit, you must fill in the application below:

Application to possess and use s7 pesticides or RCPs  PDF (173.8 KB)

Application to possess and use s7 pesticides or RCPs  DOCX (68.9 KB).

You must also provide all of the following information:

  • your name, address and contact details and whether you are over 18
  • previous authorisations for s7 use in the NT
  • whether you have ever been convicted of an offence under the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Act in the NT or elsewhere
  • whether you have any relevant accreditation or qualifications in the use of chemicals
  • addresses of the places you intend to store the chemicals and owner details if you don't own the premises
  • details of the storage place within the building and how the chemicals will be kept secure
  • names of the pesticide sought
  • name of pest to be treated
  • crop or animal species to be treated
  • if it is related to primary production, and the name and nature of the business involved.

Where to send your application

Send your completed application to:

Chemical Services
Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade
Berrimah Farm
GPO Box 3000
Darwin NT 0801

Fax: 08 8999 2111

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 17 March 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!