Using chemicals responsibly


If you use agricultural or veterinary chemical products on any property in the Northern Territory (NT), you must use them in a way that is safe for humans, animals and the environment.

The use of chemicals is controlled by both Australian and NT law and regulations. They apply to everyone who uses chemicals from the householder to the farmer or pest control operator.

Chemicals are usually safe when used by responsible operators who follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Laws about the use of agricultural and veterinary chemicals

Read the laws and regulations you must follow if you manufacture or use agricultural and veterinary (agvet) products in the NT.

The Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Code Act is an Australian law which governs the registration and regulation of agvet chemical products up to the point where they are sold to the public.

The Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Act 2004 is an NT law which controls how agvet products are used after they have been sold.

All of the following Northern Territory laws also impact on the use of agvet chemicals:

Read the Code of practice for handling pesticides.

Licenses and authorisations

You must get a licence if you are a business, or work for one, that charges for applying agricultural chemicals such as an aerial spray or pest control operator.

Some chemicals are classified as dangerous poisons or restricted chemical products, and you must get special authorisation to purchase, possess or use them.


Chemical Services
Phone: 08 8999 2344

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 15 March 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!